Monday, October 3

Home Textiles


Living in on-campus apartments in college is a little difficult. There are all these rules that you have to follow when it comes to decorating your space - no nails, no painting/wallpapering, etc, etc. This may be true of some of you who rent apartments in the real world also. The landlord does not allow you to really change the space to make it your own. Even if you live somewhere where you are able to change the room with paint, it can get expensive and time-consuming very quickly.

Well, since I have been in college and don't have a whole lot of time myself, I have found ways to get around those rules in quick and easy ways using textiles. I have a lot of quilts and other fabrics anyway - it's what happens when you are a textiles major - so why not put them to good use? 

In this post, I'm going to show you five ways that you can make your home feel more home-y in five minutes!


In my bedroom, I had this very large wall that was empty. I wanted to keep the space open but it needed something. 

My solution: Tack up a large wall hanging. 

It fills the wall space without using any room space. I bought this one at a local Indian gift store.

And that's right, I said tack. I use clear tacks to hang a lot of things in my apartments -- they leave very small holes and can be put in and taken out without using a hammer. And they stay in just as well as nails!

{I kept the fire alarm in the picture to remind you not to cover anything that might save your life!}


I wanted the light that came through the blinds on this window as I wasn't going to open them much in my bedroom. 

My solution: Lace curtains. 

I bought them at Saver's for $2 each. {Or cut some lace to make your own!} This one doesn't exactly match the other but they are close enough that you can't tell when they are on two different windows. Don't have a curtain rod? I tacked this one up too :) 


I had this b-e-a-utiful breaker box right in my kitchen. I can't paint it to make it blend into the wall. 

My solution: This super cute tea towel I found at Urban Outfitters. 

It fits over it perfectly. I just tacked the top two corners so the box is still accessible but hidden. 


I bought this couch last year at Salvation Army. Love at first sight. It definitely makes a statement on it's own but there's got to be a way to make it a little more home-y other than just adding pillows. 

My solution: Hang a quilt on the back. 

I love mixing patterns and because these had similar colors anyway, it was a perfect combination. And I can't thank this quilt enough for being there when I was cozying up on the couch and wanted a blanket to snuggle with. You'll appreciate it when you're feeling too lazy to get up off the couch and grab one.

{Print above the couch by Deborah Teska - my fabulous art teacher from high school}


This chair is the comfiest thing I've ever sat in. I bought it at Bed, Bath and Beyond during their annual college sale. But honestly, it's not the prettiest thing I've ever seen. {I'm not a big mesh person} 

My solution: Throw a sheet over it. 

When I saw the pattern of this sheet, I knew I had to get it. I bought it at Urban Outfitters a few years ago and was first planning to use it to cover my open closet, but that didn't really suit my fancy when I tried it. When I tossed it on my chair, I knew it was perfect. It's quite a bit of fabric, so I just tucked the rest underneath as I didn't want to cut it.

Side note: Don't be afraid to mix patterns and colors! Mixing bold patterns with more intricate patterns can work very well, but go with your gut. If you don't like how it looks, change it. Or try something for a week. If you're not convinced, try a different arrangement the next week. It's your space so make it inspiring for you! Nobody else has to like it but you!


Some places to score sweet textiles:

- fabric/craft stores
- thrift/vintage stores
- small local gift shops
- flea markets
- grandma's attic
- home good stores

If you have any questions/ideas/comments, please let me know below! 

♥ Kenzie


3 comments:

  1. How to make a house a home! Lovely....and that quilt is something else!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dandelion! My first one that my mom bought me for Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. amazing ideias. i did something like that once haha

    ReplyDelete