Wednesday, April 3

The Real World:: This ain't no reality show


Post grad life is a funny thing.

While I was in college, I was so freaking excited that I was almost done with school. I was there for 5.5 years, ya'll. And RISD ain't no cake walk. 

I thought of all these cool projects that I could do without the opinions of the professors getting in my way. I thought of the freedom to do whatever I want, whenever I wanted to. I thought of the hours and hours of sleep that I would be getting in my comfy bed at home.

Then I had my final critique and they kicked me to the real world. To be like, a real person 'n stuff.

I said goodbyes and had final drinks with friends.
I packed up my life in two days.
I drove 6 hours back to my hometown. 
I slept for... a few days. 
I moved my studio into my parent's basement. (and realized that I had just fulfilled the typical college grad stereotype)
I had a few omg-I'm-a-real-person-now breakdowns which my wonderful mother calmed.
I did yoga and meditated on my post grad life.

And then I started a freaking business. WHAT!?

That might have been the scariest thing I've ever done. I didn't even want to announce that I got my DBA because I was scared shitless. Super excited but let's be real - who isn't scared when they start a business? I hope at least some people are scared like me!

It's a whole work in progress. There are TONS of questions that I have been asking friends and family who have small businesses. I have been scouring the internet for tax and marketing advice as well as finding print shops that meet my (very small) budget. 

Basically, right now, I have a DBA and the rest is... coming along. 

While all this real life crap is happening, I am also planning a gallery show of my work and working on products that I will be selling in another show. Both of these shows are happening in the first week of May. Right. 

To say I'm not busy is a huge understatement. But it's better to be busy than bored, right? 


If anyone has a small business and would like to offer any advice to a girl just starting out, it would be extremely appreciated!


♥ K 



No comments:

Post a Comment