Sunday, January 9

Natural Healing

I'm sick. Not really sick, just annoying sick. That silly cough/sore throat/stomachache combo that's so annoying you just want it to go be annoying somewhere else so you can go on with your life. And lately, I have been trying natural remedies for things - peppermint oil for headaches, lavender oil and chamomile tea for calming and other good stuff. I got even more into it after I bought this book:


496 crammed pages of how natural remedies can help heal you in a 10 point font. I know, I know. I was a skeptic at first too. But it's pretty awesome. It helps me in a lot of different ways. BUT I'm not here to convert you. I just want to show you what I did with it!

So, back to the cough. I decided that I didn't want to take regular, gross cough syrup, but how could I fix it? And that's how I came to make my own!


Yummy looking right? (haha) It's actually not bad tasting. Made with lemons and raw honey - that's it! And guess what - I feel better! Not even coughing as much as I was!

So for those of you who would like the recipe...

6 lemons or onions - chopped and peeled
1 cup raw, unprocessed honey

Put the chopped lemons or onions in a double boiler. Cover and heat until boiling. Reduce heat and simmer for one hour. After one hour, remove from heat and stir in one cup of raw honey (no need to strain the pulp). Take one warm tablespoon each hour until the cough gets better. 

I used lemons because they seemed like they would taste better. Also - I would cut the recipe in half unless you have a whole sick family because it makes quite a bit as you can see in the above photo. 

And one last thing - I tried to take it a couple hours in a row and my stomach is a bit too sensitive for that (it's a bit bitter because of the lemon juice) so I would take it every couple hours. 

It said it will sooth the throat, calm the cough and clean out the bowel system. It does what it promises. ;)

So that's my coughing adventure. I'll be back later to show you a project that I've been holding off on finishing for a while. Until then, I'll be trying to finish this cough syrup (gulp) or pawn it off on my other sick friends. 

♥ Kenzie

2 comments:

  1. That is so great that you are getting into alternative medicine! I work in a natural health clinic, for a Naturopath. If you ever have questions just ask me! Oh and a GREAT tip for this time of year is to take a quality Probiotic. I dont mean eat lots of yoghurt, rather go and invest in a high grade, high dose probiotic. Something like over 80% of your immune system is in your gut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it! I had no idea that's what you do! That's so cool! And I can't eat yogurt (makes my stomach very unhappy) so that sounds great! Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete